BBB Issues Warning Against Official Burrito Blanket After Pattern of Complaints Emerge
Columbus, OH (September 9, 2020) – Shopping online can often be the perfect answer for busy individuals. While it’s easy to be drawn to the appeal of buying everything you need with a click of a button, BBB urges consumers to always practice caution when purchasing items online.
BBB has received multiple complaints from local online retailer, Official Burrito Blanket, which has an F-rating with BBB.
BBB has received over 100 complaints against Official Burrito Blanket in the past 12 months. Many of the complaints pertain to shipping and failure to receive the product.
One consumer ordered two blankets and didn’t receive a shipping email until 12 days after placing the order. Once they received the shipping email, they “told their family to be on the lookout for the package.” After three weeks had passed with no sign of the order, they emailed Official Burrito Blanket twice asking “for an update on their package” and even reached out to the business on their official Instagram page twice to inquire about the package. The consumer was then “blocked by [Official Burrito Blanket] on Instagram” and never received a refund or their blankets.
BBB offers these tips to stay safe while shopping online:
- Be a savvy shopper. When shopping online, be sure to take your time, and read the fine print before submitting your order. Look for the return policy; although many online orders can be returned for a full refund, others have restocking fees. Some items cannot be returned; know before you buy.
- Know the seller. Some of the best deals are only available online, but be careful. It’s easy for a fake site to mimic an official retailer’s website, so make sure you are shopping with the legitimate site. If the site is missing contact information, that is a red flag. A real street address, a working customer service number, a positive BBB Business Profile on BBB.org are just a few of the things to be looking out for to determine if a company is legitimate.
- Think before you click. Be especially cautious about email solicitations and online ads on social media sites. Many sketchy retailers advertise great deals or trendy clothing that don’t measure up to the promotional hype.
- Beware of too-good-to-be-true deals. Offers on websites and in unsolicited emails may offer free or very low prices on hard-to-find items. There may be hidden costs or your purchase may sign you up for a monthly charge. Look for and read the fine print.
- Keep documentation of your order. Save a copy of the confirmation page or email confirmation until you receive the item and are satisfied. Be sure to know and understand the return policy and keep this documented with your purchase records.
Better Business Bureau is a community based resource, a trusted advisor, and a partner in business. BBB exists to advance Trust in business and believes that businesses who embrace Trust as a core principle in their organization will see that it leads to growth in employees, customers, community and their bottom line. Through evaluation and Accreditation, education and training, and celebrating great role models, BBB builds a community of like-minded businesses and loyal customers. BBB believes in the power of Trust to grow people, businesses and communities.