BBB Doesn’t Want Fiesta Bowl Fans to Fall for Ticket Scams
Columbus OH (December 12, 2019)– On January 13, 2020, the Fiesta Bowl will kick off, and Buckeye fans are hopeful that they’ll be watching Ohio State play in the big game. Many fans have already started planning, including looking for tickets for the game. BBB wants to remind consumers that with an event like this there is always potential for fake ticket scams and provide tips to avoid losing money and missing out on the experience.
Scammers will frequently sell tickets online or outside the stadium for less than what they cost, hoping to pull people in. Sometimes scammers create fake tickets themselves by using images that have been posted online by an excited consumer. Scammers can grab the ticket image posted to a social media account and use the barcode to sell or get into the event themselves.
Fraudsters are often tech-savvy, making it difficult to tell if tickets are counterfeit or the real deal. Fake tickets can have authorized ticket vendor logos and even barcodes printed on them, fooling consumers until it’s too late.
BBB offers the following tips for fans looking to buy tickets to a bowl game:
- Be wary of purchasing tickets from someone on the street. If you find out that the tickets aren’t real, the seller – and your money – will already be gone and you’ll be left with no ticket.
- Research any site that you’re looking to buy tickets from. Make sure that information and reviews are recent, because scammers can hack old accounts and sell from them.
- Don’t pay for tickets with cash or by wire-transfer. If the tickets are counterfeit, then there’ll be no way to get your money back.
- If a seller online is pressuring you to pay money immediately, then it is most likely a scam. If a high-pressure situation doesn’t feel right, then it probably isn’t. Sellers should be transparent with their information.
- Don’t post pictures of recently bought tickets on social media. Consumers won’t even know that their ticket barcode has already been scanned until they go to enter the venue.
To report a scam, visit BBB Scam Tracker.
Better Business Bureau is a community based resource, a trusted advisor, and a partner in business. BBB exist to advance Trust in business and believes that businesses who embrace Trust as a core principle in their organization will see that it leads to growth in employees, customers, community and their bottom line. Through evaluation and Accreditation, education and training, and celebrating great role models, BBB builds a community of like-minded businesses and loyal customers. BBB believes in the power of trust to grow people, businesses and communities.