For Immediate Release:
May 3, 2018
Lauren Ketcham, Communications Coordinator, (614) 421-2022 Ext. 203, email@example.com
Eric Pawlowski, Sustainable Agriculture Educator, (614) 421-2022 Ext. 209, firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Farm Tour and Workshop Series Gives Public Opportunity to Experience Life on the Farm
Columbus, OH—The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) and its partners invite you to stroll through organic fields, learn about pastured livestock production and forest farming, consider a career in farming, discover how to grow and prepare nutrient-dense food, learn how to scale up vegetable production and improve marketing strategies, or take advantage of other learning opportunities during the 2018 Sustainable Farm Tour and Workshop Series.
In addition to OEFFA’s 20 summer farm tours, workshops, and special events, five urban agriculture-focused farm tours, presented by Central State University Extension, will showcase ideas for how to farm in the city and address community food security.
“This series allows farmers and gardeners to share production know-how with each other, build connections among our farming community, and strengthen our food system,” said Eric Pawlowski, Sustainable Agriculture Educator at OEFFA. “It also helps the public learn how sustainably produced food is grown from farmers ready to share their knowledge.”
Tour guests can experience sustainable agriculture up close during these OEFFA farm tours:
- Thursday, June 7: Cultivation and Weed Control in Organic Systems Field Day—University of Kentucky Horticulture Research Farm, Kentucky
- Wednesday, June 13: Mechanical Weed Control Farm Tour—Venture Heritage Farm, Wayne Co.
- Saturday, June 16: Poultry Processing Tour—King and Sons Poultry Services, Darke Co.
- Sunday, July 22: Diversified Direct Marketing Farm Tour—Thistle Rock Farm, Indiana
- Friday, August 3: Organic Cash Grain Farm Tour—Kauffman Farms, Madison Co.
- Saturday, August 11: Transitional Orchard Farm Tour—Honey Blossom Orchard, Henry Co.
- Tuesday, August 14: Pastured Beef, Hay, and Grain Farm Tour—Mound View Farms, Adams Co.
- Saturday, August 25: Pastured Beef and Conservation Easement Farm Tour—Marshy Meadows Farm, Ashtabula Co.
- Thursday, August 30: Organic Grain Trials and Transition Farm Tour—Sonlight Acres/Morning Sun Farm, Preble Co.
- Saturday, September 22: Native Medicinal Plant Conservation Forest Farming Tour—United Plant Savers Botanical Sanctuary, Meigs Co.
The public can tour urban agriculture projects during these Central State University Extension farm tours:
- Saturday, July 7: Non-Profit Urban Educational Farm Tour—Project Aquastar at St. Stephens Community House, Franklin Co.
- Saturday, July 21: Value-Added Urban Production Farm Tour—Hooper Farm, Cuyahoga Co.
- Saturday, August 18: Changing the Landscape of Urban Agriculture Tour—Urban Agriculture Alliance at Jackson Industries, Lucas Co.
- Saturday, August 25: Urban Farm Collective Farm Tour—Urban Earth Farms, Hamilton Co.
- Sunday, September 23: Regenerative, Year-Round Urban Market Farm Tour—Dayton Urban Grown Training Farm/Mission of Mary Farm, Montgomery Co.
Attendees can develop their production and marketing skills, explore a dream to farm, learn how to select farmland, and more during these OEFFA workshops:
- Saturday, June 23: Listening to the Land: Tools and Strategies for Land Assessment Workshop—Agraria, Greene Co.
- Sunday, July 22: Growing and Preparing Nutrient-Dense Food for Better Health and Resilient Communities Workshop—Wyatt Run Farm and Ecology Center, Athens Co.
- Sunday, August 5: Farm Vision Workshop—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
- Saturdays, October 13-February 2: Heartland Farm Beginnings® Training Course—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
- Friday, November 30-Saturday, December 1: Scale Your Farm Production and Marketing Strategies So You Can Grow Profits Workshop—Mustard Seed Market & Cafe at Highland Square, Summit Co.
Other opportunities include these OEFFA member open houses and special events:
- Saturday, June 9: Snowville Creamery Open House, Meigs Co.
- Sunday, July 15: Foraged & Sown Open House, Franklin Co.
- Sunday, August 19: 4th Annual Dinner Celebration at Maplestar Farm—Maplestar Farm, Geauga Co.
- Sunday, September 9: Carriage House Farm Open House, Hamilton Co.
- Saturday, October 27: Pastured Providence Farmstead Open House, Ross Co.
“OEFFA has offered annual farm tours for nearly four decades; farmers sharing knowledge with other farmers has always been at the core of our work. This series provides unique on-farm opportunities for growers, educators, and conscientious eaters to learn about sustainable agriculture and local foods from growers and producers with years of practical experience,” Pawlowski said.
This series, which features 31 total events, is also promoted in cooperation with the Clintonville Farmers’ Market and the Michigan Organic Food and Farm Alliance, who are sponsoring additional tours.
All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise indicated in the series brochure.
For more information and complete details for all workshops and farm tours, click here.
The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) is a non-profit organization founded in 1979 by farmers, gardeners, and conscientious eaters who committed to work together to create and promote a sustainable and healthful food and farming system. For more information, go to www.oeffa.org.
Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association
41 Croswell Rd., Columbus OH 43214
(614) 421-2022 www.oeffa.org